On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 09:28:35 +0000, Dirk Fieldhouse <"Not Saying"> in
mozilla.support.seamonkey wrote:

>On 14/03/19 01:04, j...@comcast.com wrote:
>> in OS win 7, 64bit......
>> will "user_pref("config.trim_on_minimize", true);" achieve the desired
>> effect of reducing memory usage if added to Seamonkey's prefs.js.
>
>No: because this setting was specific to Windows XP and you have Windows
>7 and "on Vista and up it has little to no effect" (from
>widget/windows/nsWindow.cpp:845). You should expect it to disappear in
>SM versions that take on changes subsequent to FF 52.
>
>/df

Thank you, Dirk!  (I knew someone would eventually answer the main
question  :-)   )

I have found that Seamonkey 2.49.3 contains the "about:memory" dialogue
and the minimize memory on that page seems to have reasonably good effect.