On 8/17/19, Sarty, Gordon <gordon.sa...@usask.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have searched the web and looked through files on my computer but can
> find no way to add xls and doc file types to the Preferences -> Broswer
> -> Helper Applications list. They used to be there for SeaMonkey.

Yes, there used to be a UI to add helper apps but it disappeared in SM 2.0 :(

> How can I add those file types?

You have to download that file type.  So. from a cmd prompt, do something like

copy or create file.xls in the same directory, open load-xls.htm with
SM and click on the link

I get a pop-up with the options to 'Open with' and 'Save File', but
the 'Do this automatically..' is greyed out :(

** is this mailing list/ newsgroup archived somewhere?
I can find my june 2010 "how to automatically save files?" q&a to the
list in my sent mail but can't find it with a search engine :(

summary: My 2010 fix, on a windows vista machine, for not being able
to select 'do this automatically...' for .pptx files was adding this
bit to the registry

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pptx]
"Content
Type"="application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content
Type\application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation]
"Extension"=".pptx"