On 10/01/20 21:43, DoctorBill wrote:
I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)

No. It's a Windows thing.

I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
"Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
NO choices are given to place - just File Name....

If you select that checkbox, Windows will prompt you for a filename when printing. Maybe in new versions it uses a better GUI but it used to be just a text entry dialog box. However it will just send the same data stream that it would have sent to the printer port to the file, whereas you probably want a PDF or PostScript file.

For that you have to install a specific virtual printer, and from the thread I see you found out how to do that for PDF in Windows 7 (and 8.0, and earlier), using DoPDF -- alternatives exist; Windows 10 has a built-in 'Microsoft Print to PDF' virtual printer. For PostScript you can use a generic PostScript printer to 'FILE:'.

The XPS printer that you see listed is a similar thing for the XPS format, a Microsoft competitor to PDF.

/df

--
London
UK