DoctorBill wrote:
I am asking here because a Google Search brought up implications that
this is a specific Browser thing and not applicable to Windows (7).....(?)

I was on my wife's Health Insurance web site (Fidelity) and found her
"Claims Activity" link.   That goes to a HUGE List (she had cancer) which
has a "Print" button.  Clicking THAT sends me to the print Options.
One "Option" is  - PRINT TO FILE.
Here is the problem . . . . . WHERE does the file get printed to ?
NO choices are given to place - just File Name....

Looking for information on this on Google just brings up ALL SORTS of
Gobble-De-Gook !  One opinion after another !   Mostly rubbish.

Searching for the file name gets me no-where !

Can someone point me in the right direction ?  I know it is OFF TOPIC.
Sorry for that !

DoctorBill

Note - I Googled what "MicroSoft XPS Document Writer" is all about.

THAT is what you can use to "Print to File", but it saves in a Non-Usable file type that ONLY XPS Document Writer can open.  Can't modify it or convert it.
Typical MS proprietary BS - wizzing in the corners of their territory.

One Note 2016 seems to be an enigma.

DoctorBill

Using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Windows 10.

I click File > Print.
The Print dialog opens with my default Brother HL-2040 series printer selected.
I select "Print to file".
I click "OK".
I get a "Save Print Output As" window where I can select a folder where I want to save the file. Currently it is the Downloads folder. The "File name:" field is empty. I can type anything in there that I want to call the file. There is a "Save as type" drop down list under that with "Printer Files (*prn) already selected.
If I click the selection I get an "All Files (*)" choice.
Selecting that I see all the files in my Downloads folder.

If I click on my printer name, there is a drop down with other print formats I can select in this order.

Fax
Microsoft Print to PDF
Microsoft XPS Document Writer
One Note
Send to OneNote 2016

If I was printing to a file I would chose Microsoft Print to PDF, because it will automatically select and add the .pdf file type to whatever I name the file in the "File name:" field.

You may have to install the Adobe Reader DC application to open and read the PDF files if you don't have a way to open them.

<https://get.adobe.com/reader/>

Make sure you get the right version for your operating system and disable the installation of McAfee Safe Connect.