On 4/7/2020 3:15 PM, Ray Davison wrote:
The short answer is; absolutely.

My PC "cubical" has three desktops and one laptop, and I have recently setup three other laptops.  And, since the first DrDOS every machine has had at least two OSs.  Currently the laptops have two each and the desktops each have five.  So I was able to do exactly what you asked.

I did not have a WXP with SM 2.49.5.  So I copied the 2.49.5 app tree from a laptop to the WXP box.  Then I did a newer-file-only copy of the profile tree and the mail tree from the laptop to the WXP box.  BTW, that newer-file-only copy to another box is my backup system.

I opened the WXP 2.49.5 sub-directory, and copied the run object/shortcut to the WXP desktop.  I than ran the 2.49.5 shortcut on the WXP box.  I looked at the bookmarks and passwords and ran a link off the history.  SM 2.49.5 on WXP now has the same data as 2.53.1 on the laptop.

My "Welcome to Netscape" email is dated 2June97.  I have always considered NS/Moz/SM a very friendly app.  Some don't seem to like sharing.  Where I have two Win partitions they share both the app and data.  For several years I had OS/2 and Win with their own app versions but sharing profiles and mail.

I am a little concerned with 2.53.1.  In the past the only time I needed to be concerned with sharing data was when we went from 1X to 2X.  And they made a big deal of it, and bumped the version a whole number.  And I would never install one SM version over another, especially after they say it is too different to share a profile with a previous version.

The only clue I have about issues with 2.53.1 is something to do with master passwords.  Since my master password is the lock on the door I tried several recent versions with the same profile.

On one machine I currently have things that call themselves 2.49.5, 2.50, 2.53.3b1, 2.53.1, and 2.57a1.  Some are WG9.  I ran back and forth thru them at least twice.  Only 2.57a1 had issues.

All you need to manage SM is a little knowledge of sub-directory structure and copy.

Wait. Older SM versions (e.g., v2.49.5) can read newer SM versions (v2.53.1)'s datas like places.sqlite? :O
--
:) Holy Wk!
   /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
 | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
    \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
     ( )