Frog - f...@pond.com wrote:
Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
WaltS48 wrote:
On 4/9/20 1:48 PM, Paul in Houston, TX wrote:

Snippy, snip, snip...

Are you sure that the SMTP for AOL is identical to the SMTP for Verizon?

smtp.aol.com for AOL
smtp.verizon.net for Verizon

That what I get from Thunderbird's account setup wizard.

Exactly.  We don't know what Frog is trying to do.

Thanks for helping this 83 yr old beginner level technician solve a problem with his out-going mail situation.  Here is what my Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings > Server Settings are:

Verizon
Server type - POP Mail Server
Server Name: smpt.verizon.net      Port:995     Default:995
User Name: My complete email address is listed here.
Security Settings
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Authentication method   Normal password

AOL
Server type - POP Mail Server
Server Name: mail.aol.com      Port:995     Default:995
User Name: My complete email address is listed here.
Security Settings
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Authentication method   Password transmitted insecurely

Please Note: Both settings have worked for a year, and the Verizon setup suddenly stopped working.

Those are the settings for receiving mail from each account. Since you're having trouble sending mail, you need to check the outgoing (SMTP) settings. This has been quite a long thread, but I think I recall somewhere that AOL and/or Verizon recently changed to requiring the full email address as username? In that case, it may be that you've changed the username for the incoming servers, but not for the outgoing ones.

As I mentioned in a previous post, it's also possible that both accounts are attempting to use the same outgoing server configuration, but that they now should be using different usernames (even if the server address is the same) corresponding to the different email addresses.

Only one SMTP server configuration will be default, so if both accounts have been left set to use the default server, one of them might be attempting to send mail using the other's address as the login. From Edit > Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings: - Select the AOL account in the left-hand panel and see what the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" is set to near the bottom of the dialog.
- Do the same for the Verizon account.
- Select "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" in the left-hand panel and see which servers you have configured.

If the AOL and Verizon accounts are both set to use the same server, that may be the problem. If not, double-check the settings for both servers:
- Are all the addresses, ports and authentication details correct?
- In particular, is the one used by the AOL account using the AOL email address as the username, and the one used by the Verizon account using the Verizon address as the username?

I don't have an account with either AOL or Verizon, so can't help with specifics of the configuration for each, but I think others here have mentioned the necessary settings which are working for them.

--
Mark.