On 8/15/20 10:28 AM, Edward wrote:
David H. Durgee wrote:

The POP3 mail server (pop.verizon.net) does not support UIDL or XTND
XLST, which are required to implement the ``Leave on Server'', ``Maximum
Message Size'' or ``Fetch Headers Only'' options. To download your mail,
turn off these options in the Server Settings for your mail server in
the Account Settings window.

Verizon's e-mail, as well as AOL's, are now hosted at Yahoo.

In order to retrieve IMAP mail from them within reasonable duration since IMAP PUSH isn't supported, I have to set the e-mail client (especially on the phone) to poll the server every x number of minutes.

You might want to consider giving IMAP a try, it might be more reliable than what you're experiencing with the POP service.

Why can I log into my Verizon and AOL email accounts on the web from the AOL site, but not Yahoo?

"On March 16, 2017, Verizon announced that it would discontinue the e-mail services provided for its internet subscribers, and migrate them to AOL Mail.[134]"

REF: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Communications#Acquisition_of_AOL_and_Yahoo>

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/