WaltS48 wrote:
On 8/15/20 10:28 AM, Edward wrote:
David H. Durgee wrote:

The POP3 mail server (pop.verizon.net) does not support UIDL or XTND
XLST, which are required to implement the ``Leave on Server'', ``Maximum
Message Size'' or ``Fetch Headers Only'' options. To download your mail,
turn off these options in the Server Settings for your mail server in
the Account Settings window.

Verizon's e-mail, as well as AOL's, are now hosted at Yahoo.

In order to retrieve IMAP mail from them within reasonable duration since IMAP PUSH isn't supported, I have to set the e-mail client (especially on the phone) to poll the server every x number of minutes.

You might want to consider giving IMAP a try, it might be more reliable than what you're experiencing with the POP service.

Why can I log into my Verizon and AOL email accounts on the web from the AOL site, but not Yahoo?

"On March 16, 2017, Verizon announced that it would discontinue the e-mail services provided for its internet subscribers, and migrate them to AOL Mail.[134]"

REF: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Communications#Acquisition_of_AOL_and_Yahoo>

Yes, they migrated the Verizon mail over to AOL Mail. Then when Verizon bought Yahoo afterwards, everything moved over to Yahoo.

When AOL Mail was independent under AOL, IMAP PUSH worked perfectly.

As to why you can login via AOL but not Yahoo, my first guess would be that AOL and Yahoo have separate authentication servers on the web side.