mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:

If you look on the Message > Tag menu (in the main window), there is a number next to each tag.  Although it looks like just the key to select the option from the menu, you can also use it as a separate shortcut key to add/remove the tag from a message (like how "M" toggles read/unread status).  e.g. with the default set of tags, pressing "1" will add/remove the red "Important" tag on selected messages, pressing "2" will add/remove the orange "Work" tag, etc.  Only the first 9 tags get shortcut keys (1 to 9) - I just added a few more tags to confirm last night's guess since I don't usually have that many.

It's definitely possible to give a message multiple tags, although in the display of message summaries, only the lowest-numbered color is visible.

Also, pressing 0 will clear all tags.

I honestly don't know where I saw that you could just use the number keys to toggle tags without going through the menu.  I've been using them for a long time as a quick way to toggle tags on messages in the thread/message panes of the main window, or from a separate message window.

Now that I think of it, I don't know where I found that, either. There's no indication of keyboard shortcuts in Message -> Tag.

One minor annoyance is that tag descriptions are global, and for me, for certain folders, the scheme that I use is specific to the folder. I've learned to simply accept that, where I know what I mean by a certain tag, even if the displayed name doesn't reflect that. Maybe something for an extension, but I doubt if anybody will ever do that.

As far as I can tell, you can only apply the first 9 tags from the advanced search results, since they're the only ones with shortcut keys (1 to 9) and the menus aren't available there.  So if you want to be able to apply your frequently-used custom tags from the advanced search results, they need to be in the first 9 tags, and you need to remember which numbers they are to use the shortcuts.  You can change the order of existing tags at Edit > Preferences > Mail & Newsgroups > Tags or Message > Tag > Customise (select a tag and use the Raise/Lower Importance buttons).

That's correct.  See above.

I do make a little bit of use of tagging with filters. For my Inbox, I have a filter that assigns the 1 tag ("Urgent") to messages that the sender has set Priority: to be urgent. Although use of the Priority: header is now mostly passe', it's still useful to get my attention if the sender has taken the effort to designate a message as urgent.

For newsgroups, I have also a filter that flags with a 4 tag (where I've renamed the flag as "Mine") so that I can easily see messages I've contributed, or if the thread is collapsed, which threads I've contributed to. I also subscribe to a bunch of mailing lists, where I keep a lot of the back traffic in list-specific folders, and I do the same thing with that traffic.

Smith