NFN Smith wrote:

I honestly don't know where I saw that you could just use the number keys to toggle tags without going through the menu.  I've been using them for a long time as a quick way to toggle tags on messages in the thread/message panes of the main window, or from a separate message window.

Now that I think of it, I don't know where I found that, either. There's no indication of keyboard shortcuts in Message -> Tag.

I happened to be looking at Thunderbird, and there Message -> Tag does show the keyboard shortcuts. I don't know why that's in Thunderbird, but not Seamonkey.

Smith