Bill Spikowski wrote:
(To GW)

It could be something not within your control, perhaps related to this
issue:

Can’t send something on Gmail? If so then you’re in good company, ever
since about midnight ET, people have been complaining about issues
connecting to many of the G suite services, but especially Gmail.

(copied from https://www.engadget.com/gmail-is-down-053821685.html)

Great! Thank you Bill. I had done a quick search for gmail issues and didn't find that. Also, when I got to the machines later to run testing, both were receiving the same test messages I sent, at that time (from me). So I must presume Google fixed itself.