Daniel wrote:
Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote on 22/01/21 08:44:
Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
WaltS48 wrote:
On 1/21/21 3:29 PM, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

<Snip>

Trying to access the same posting, the top-level one for this thread.
It is from 10 April 2020, 23:32 (my timezone, your mileage may vary).
This attempt is from another profile on another machine, one where I have previously replied to this very post myself.

Any help?

<https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.seamonkey/c/irD_2_--VPo>

I had to get to messages 391-420 from the main archive to find it.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Is this some deficiency with Seamonkey's handling of large Newsgroups or has someone started deleting old messages?  I don't remember this happening back when I was using 2.49.4.

Answering my own question, I don't have this problem with mozilla.general of any of the lower-traffic newsgroups I'm using on this server.  It looks to me as though mozilla.support.seamonkey has lost most of its history.

Don, if I set my SM 2.49.1 to View -> Threads -> All, I can see that, at 17:14 (my time) 06/08/19, you replied in a thread in this newsgroup titled "Seamonkey mail ebay". Can you not see this??

I'm guessing there is only so much storage allocated to each newsgroup and once that space is full the messages are over-written.

Hmm! Perhaps if we snipped better, the older threads would last longer!! ;-P

And then, just as I was snipping my post, I see a reference to groups.google.com, maybe their storage is lessor than what mozilla allocate!!

Curious - I can see the posts in that thread. Not just the headers, the content as well. Now to your other hypothesis: I read/write these posts via Seamonkey Mail/News on the server news.mozilla.org. My understanding is that this is the "primary", other News providers such as groups.google.com read and write to this server. In Walt S48's first post yesterday he gave me a link to Google groups - it is in this mail, you did not snip it - and I confirmed to him - also in this mail, unsnipped - that his link worked and that the information I was looking for was there and had solved my problem. In another of my posts in this thread I said that the mozilla.general newsgroup on the same server does not seem to suffer from the problem. There are actually more postings in Mozilla General than in this group although I filter+delete on several criteria there so I can't supply numbers. Both are over 110 000.

--
spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/