Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote on 23/01/21 20:12:
Daniel wrote:
Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote on 22/01/21 20:04:

<Snip>

Curious - I can see the posts in that thread.  Not just the headers, the content as well. Now to your other hypothesis: I read/write these posts via Seamonkey Mail/News on the server news.mozilla.org.  My understanding is that this is the "primary", other News providers such as groups.google.com read and write to this server.

Yeap!! Same Same for me .... and then there is the (whatever) function where you can receive all posts here in one great big daily e-mail! YUCK!! (IMHO, of course!!)

In Walt S48's first post yesterday he gave me a link to Google groups - it is in this mail, you did not snip it - and I confirmed to him - also in this mail, unsnipped - that his link worked and that the information I was looking for was there and had solved my problem. In another of my posts in this thread I said that the mozilla.general newsgroup on the same server does not seem to suffer from the problem. There are actually more postings in Mozilla General than in this group although I filter+delete on several criteria there so I can't supply numbers.  Both are over 110 000.

I (recently) had to make a new account for this news server, so I show at 4,306 messages in moz.general verses 5,163 messages in moz.s.seamonkey

When you subscribe to a Newsgroup, the download is not initiated until you actually "go there".  If you then look at the "Server Settings for this account" you will see an option "Ask me before downloading more than 1500 messages".  In my experiments here I have started routinely disabling this option, even if you don't you can still say "I want them all" (or words to that effect).  It looks as though you have accepted some limit. Of course it helps when you have a seriously fast internet connection, mine is something like 200Mb or 250Mb.

Yeah!! At the time, I had screwed up something with my old Moz.news account and hoped to fix it ..... eventually. Haven't gotten around to it yet!

Maybe, one day, I'll download all the missing threads!!
--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.53.5.1 Build identifier: 20201115194905

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623