Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
Cecil Bankston wrote:
WaltS48 wrote:
On 1/22/21 2:13 PM, Cecil Bankston wrote:
Edmund Wong wrote:
Greetings,

The SeaMonkey Project is pleased to announce the release of SeaMonkey
2.53.6.

So please check out [1] or [2].

Thanks to all involved.

Edmund

PS: Yeah, somewhat a canned message.  Currently in the middle of a bunch
of things while doing release, so my apologies.

Links:
[1] - http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.53.6
[2] - http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.53.6/

I downloaded the X64 version for my Windows 10 system, but it doesn't run when I double-click or use Open or even when I run it as Administrator.  My Avast antivirus and an on-demand scan with MalwareBytes show the file is safe.  I switched to Edge to download it again in case my original download was corrupted, but Microsoft blocked the download, saying the file may harm my computer.

By doesn't run you mean the installer doesn't open?

I had no problem installing and running it on Fedora 33 Linux.

Will check on Windows sometime.

When I double-click the exe file I see the busy icon for a few seconds, then nothing else happens.  No installer window opens, and no new task appears in Task Manager.  There is no UAC issue, as SeaMonkey is not installed on my boot drive.

You could read the releasee notes and check if this helps:

+++ snip +++
Windows:

    You might not be able to install SeaMonkey in Windows 10 if you have turned on the Windows Defender Smartscreen feature. Your SeaMonkey download will be blocked in the case. To overcome this go to "Windows Security->App & browser control" in the new Windows Settings and set the "Check apps and files" setting to Warn from Block.

+++ snip off +++

I got the file directly from the builder a week ago and it installed fine in 20H2, 1909 and Server 2016. But the first thing I do after installing Windows 10 is turn off smartscreen and this "block on first sight" stuff. I value my privacy too much for allowing to report anything I download to MS :) Real-time protection is the only thing on.

sha256 for *seamonkey-2.53.6.en-US.win64.installer.exe directly from the builder is 177924a851751c0351fd1a62f86d03caf9a2d08a9e596ff01037a878b56774ec

FRG
Thanks for the advice. It worked. I don't use Windows Defender, so I had never seen those security settings. Apparently some recent Windows update turned those security settings on by default. Strangely, there was no warning message when I tried the installation before turning off those settings; the file just didn't execute. Aren't we fortunate that Windows protects us so well? ;)

--
C. Bankston