----- Original Message -----
From: "Vitenka - Zen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Nodeconfig refuses point blank to run on my machine as of main build 529.
>
> >* make it so that nodeconf can change every option
>
> Secret options are bad :)  I still seem to have an un-needed 'temporary
directory' setting - which it warns me about on every
> startup.

Can you expound on this one?

> >* have nodeconf just edit the config in place (effectively, have it treat
> >%'s and not have to be manually rewritten)
>
> It isn't doing this already?

Nope. The lifecycle of the options is as follows: defaults set in program;
options in config file read overwriting defaults; changes made; new file
written in big slew of printfs.

> >* fix import/export ref on bunny
>
> Can we have an "export all known references" option?  At least until the
routing table stops getting eaten by the datastore
> bugs :)
>
> >* popup window when # of threads is changed to equal 0
>
> Is that a bad option to set then?

Telling fred it can spawn as many threads as it wants? Yes.

> >* make windows installer using windows installer.
>
> Strongly disagree - the nullsoft installer is a fine and accepted piece of
work, whereas the default windows installer is a
> horrible piece of junk.  Unless you are having some major problems with
the nullsoft explorer, what is the incentive to
> change?  If you are worried about transparence then most people would
probably be happy with a zip file and a 'run this
> first' file.

Zip files don't work. Too many users can't figure out how they work (yes,
we've had complaints on that before). This is just a longterm goal. Not
having to have an adhoc collection o things that can go wrong would be nice.

> >* allow selection of java's if don't want first one found out of the
> >  registry
>
> Please, yes please.  Give us a list of all of them and let us choose.
Would it be possible to list what version each java
> is, since it's not always obvious from the directory.
>
> >* have nodeconfig popup a window when using an invalid ip address
> >(192.168.*.*, 10.*.*.*, phlemball.aol)
>
> Possibly unrelated, but what is the option to allow arbitary lients to
connect on the client port or the web port - or is
> this incredibly unsafe?

In the windows client, the option is on the advanced page in the FCP access
box. For mainport, there is no option in the config program yet.

> >* rewrite in c++ so I don't have to deal with java sh*t.
> >* automatically register dyndns if they don't have it already (until
arks)
> >(freenetnode.com would probably be setup fairly easily)
>
> A dyndns for frenetnode.com would be kinda nice to have built in.  Make
sure the explanation of what this is, is
> comprehensible to the average user :)
>
> Hmm.  If we have dyndns would this make routing via dynamic IP a more
sensible thing?  In which case, might renaming

?

> >* add messagebox before stopping the node when updating snapshot
> >* add update option on systray app
>
> How often are updates checked for?  And is it done just by getting a
freenet message or do we poll or is it via some out of
> band method?

Fproxy will tell you when higher build numbers are available.

> >* allow for negative # of threads (add checkbox. Give big warning when
set
> >since FastThreadFactory = evil)
>
> Uh - negative threads?  What would that be?

If the value of maxThreads is negative, a different thread factory is used
which doesn't remove threads ever, which may potentially speed things up but
other than that is similar to maxThreads = 0

> >* fix the file naming of freenet-webinstall.exe to
> >freenet-webinstall-{$VER}.exe
>
> Uh - surely the webinstaller installs whatever the latest version of
freenet there is?

Yes. The problem is that files in the webinstaller change. There needs to be
atleast some versioning of that, otherwise people are blindly downloading

> As to using the monolithic installer:  A couple of times downloading via
the normal update or web update I got an out of date
> version of the software - so I dropped back to the monolithic one, which
worked once I altered the version number in the
> url...

Is there transparent http caching by your ISP, becuase I download the new
jars VIA the update mechanism here myself.

> Right, what else would I request?   Some more sensible defaults would be
good - perhaps default choke of bandwidth to the
> kinds of levels that make sense on a cable / DSL connection.

The problem with that is that sane settings vary widely. For example, at
home I can upload at about 3 times what is safe for me to upload here, due
to additional congestion, but I can download about twice as fast here as at
home.

> Also, on windows, offerring an option to set the registry keys that frost
advises (that set your socket limits up for server
> working) might be a good idea.

what?

-Mathew