And to further the mail objection against having to use my ISP's mailer
to talk to *this* list is that Shaw in theory can now look at my mail
traffic and if they don't like the Freenet project, could suspend my
internet account in a similar manner to how PayPal suspended yours.

Please, please, please FIX this and allow direct MTA connections from
subscribed members only.  Having to go thru the ISP mail server is a MAJOR
privacy concern for me (I know from sysadmin experience that they can look
at any mail passing thru their server at any time).

Just remember every ISP you're forcing subscribers to send their mail
through may be the next 'PayPal'.

Also note that you have an identity of the sender (they subscribed after
all) so if you get a spam from a subscriber you know who to tar and
feather so there's no reason to use the overzealous IP blocking services
on mailing list subscribers.