On Tue, 18 May 2004, Toad wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 12:53:08PM -0700, Christopher Brian Jack wrote:
> >=20
> > And to further the mail objection against having to use my ISP's mailer
> > to talk to *this* list is that Shaw in theory can now look at my mail
> > traffic and if they don't like the Freenet project, could suspend my
> > internet account in a similar manner to how PayPal suspended yours.
> >=20
> > Please, please, please FIX this and allow direct MTA connections from
> > subscribed members only.  Having to go thru the ISP mail server is a MAJOR
> > privacy concern for me (I know from sysadmin experience that they can look
> > at any mail passing thru their server at any time).

> What exactly happens? I don't think the spam filtering we have on dodo
> would arbitrarily discard messages from DSL hosts, they might be
> slightly more likely to be held...

I thought I posted the text of the failure message.  It reports as
'service unavailable' and directs dul.sorbs.net hitting on my MTA's IP as
the cause (again I normally don't smarthost thru my ISP due to privacy
concerns) but I've had to switch.  The mailing list has only recently
started doing this; I used to be able to post here.

I'll try again with smarthosting off and if it bounces again I'll post the
bounce reply exported to a text message with full headers.