On 25/05/2004, at 5:27 AM, Toad wrote:

[snip]
2. I really suspect that more serious bandwidth limiting should be done at an
operating system (router) level rather than at the Freenet level. I suspect
that's what you'll be told around here. That way you can also take account of
things happening other than your node. :-)

Perhaps. That would also lead to high message send times though. Freenet
needs to know what the limit is even if you use external limiting.

I use iptables for monitoring, but not limiting...

So I've been working towards a Linux traffic shaper that gives sets no limits
on traffic with domestic IP addresses and limits international traffic so the
total monthly limit hits 5 Gb (my cap).

HOW do you determine what is local? Freenet could maybe support this.

IP range. The ISP just has one 'local' port on their routers that goes to the domestic peers and an 'international' which goes to everyone else. I'm pretty sure I could get their tech support to give me the blocks.

3. What I don't know is how my Freenet node will respond when some (domestic)
IPs get a high bandwidth (8,000 k/s) and other (international) IPs get a low
bandwidth (0.75 k/s). I guess my node will always give a constant
recommendation for how much traffic it wants, and this will oscillate wildly
according to how many domestic versus international nodes are connecting. I'm
*hoping* domestic nodes will learn that it is worthwhile connecting to me, but
they may be put off by the average they get. I don't know. Someday when Toad is
bored maybe he could put his fine mind to at least thinking about the impacts
of this bandwidth disparity and how a node configuration could be set to handle
this.

It may be that this scenario ( maix of low and high bandwidth channels into a
node) is relatively uncommon worldwide, and isn't worth coding for, but I
wonder how common it is, and whether it may become more common.

Are you in Spain by any chance? The last poster on this topic was..

Nope, New Zealand, but because we only have two telcos, and one of them only operates two small areas, we have monopoly problems :/

Maybe if I can get funds up and push for NZWired to get working...

--
Phillip Hutchings
[EMAIL PROTECTED]