Well, maybe I'm too much mswin-like in my approach to app installation...
I downloaded Java 1.5 for linux from Java.com and executed it!!!
At the end, I had java installed... magic?

I didn't ever know there were a contrib package of java... didn't ever searched it.

(while I know of koffee problems)

Matthew Exon ha scritto:
Debian doesn't include Sun Java - you have to either use Kaffee or some other free implementation, or use the java-package package to re-package the Sun packages into .deb packages. java-package is in contrib, which Debian won't use by default. Overall, it's a little hairy and confusing - it's not a works-out-of-the-box thing.

As I understand it, Freenet uses lots of features of Java that Kaffee either doesn't have or doesn't have a mature implementation of, and so Sun Java will probably make your life a lot easier. I'm not sure if Freenet will even run under Kaffee at all (getting this working is apparently one of the goals of the 0.7 rewrite).

So I would have said that a distribution that includes Sun Java out of the box would make your life somewhat easier. Having said that though, I'm using Sun Java under Debian, and it wasn't all that painful.

Alex R. Mosteo wrote:

daniele wrote:

I think it is indifferent.
Personally I have Debian. But any other distro would support Java, and Freenet needs only java.

Yep, Mandrake 10.1 here and no worries.

[Anon] Anon User ha scritto:

-----BEGIN TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE-----
Message-type: plaintext

It sounds like a stupid question perhaps, but I'm currently on windows and am giving serious thought and study time to at minimum switching to a windows - - linux dual boot arrangment.

So far I'm leaning toward either Debian or Mandriva, does freenet prefer one better than the other? Or does it matter much if it's one of the 'mainstream'
distro's?

Thanks

-----END TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE-----

-----
it.scienza.chimica, 25/8/05:
> che differenza c'è tra molarità, molalità e moralità?
con le prime due puoi descrivere un politico.
[dp]
http://blog.daniele.homelinux.org