[Anon] Anon User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> -----BEGIN TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE-----
> Message-type: plaintext
>
> It sounds like a stupid question perhaps, but I'm currently on windows and am
> giving serious thought and study time to at minimum switching to a windows
> - - linux dual boot arrangment.
>
> So far I'm leaning toward either Debian or Mandriva, does freenet prefer one
> better than the other?  Or does it matter much if it's one of the 'mainstream'
> distro's?

As others have said, the exact distro doesn't matter much to freenet and it will
be possible to get it working one way or another. If you're new to Linux and are
going to be using it as a desktop, your first priority should be choosing one
that's relatively easy to use / manage. I'd recommend looking at Ubuntu (or
kUbuntu which uses KDE and is therefore a bit more windows-like), Fedora Core
and similar. For what it's worth I installed Ubuntu a few months ago for a Linux
neophyte friend who was sick of his XP constantly being pwned no matter how
careful he was, and am pleasantly suprised that he actually likes it, has
commented how much easier various things are on it vs. windows, and somehow
still hasn't "got around" to reinstalling XP as dual boot :)
Admittedly I did help configure it for him, e.g. as per
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats (the default install is 100% pure Free
software) and stuff like installing all the "suggested" packages for k3b to give
it its full impressive range of ninja powers. Anyway if you make use of all the
FAQs and helpful forums out there I'm sure you could manage.

I have used Debian for a dedicated node successfully, via a manual Sun jre and
freenet install. Apparently it's OK as a desktop, but I'm pretty sure Ubuntu
does things better from a new user's perspective - it's based on Debian anyway
so you still get apt-get etcetera. Currently I use Gentoo, with freenet manually
installed although it does have a package for it. Unlike the guy downthread
though (unless he was joking) I would absolutely _NOT_ recommend Gentoo to a new
user or any "normal user" who doesn't want to tweak their OS. It's a hardcore
everything-is-configurable nerd distro. How nerdy? Well IIRC they only just made
an installer for it, up till then you got a root shell and an instructions.txt
and had to do everything manually :)

Bob