[Hierophant asked me to submit for him.]

On Sunday, August 15, 2010, 1:05:13 PM, Juliano wrote:

> HI--I am new to computers and by nature and not techy at all! So
> trying to understand about the freenet the feeling is one of panic
> where i just dont understand terminology etc. I do however just want
> to ask some simple questions about Freenet, because i am all for no
> censorship of the net.

<snip>

There's a fundamental distinction that may be useful.  If you wish to
access  the open internet (what you access now) with stronger privacy,
anonymity  and  security,  Freenet is not for you.  For that, you want
either  Tor or a paid OpenVPN-based privacy/anonymity service (such as
Mullvad,  XeroBank,  Cryptohippie, Rayservers, etc).  Simple web proxy
servers  are,  IMHO,  virtually useless.  And BTW, you must trust your
provider, so choose well.  Avoid Anonymizer, which has CIA ties.

Freenet  is  a  self-contained  virtual network.  One accesses Freenet
through  a  network  node.  There's no access to Freenet from the open
internet, and (typically) no access from Freenet to the open internet.

Actually,  I should have written "Freenets".  There's a common Freenet
("OpenNet")  that's  open to all.  That is, in OpenNet mode, your node
accepts  connections  from any node that asks.  Conversely, in DarkNet
mode,  you  specify  all  nodes that your node will connect with.  For
example,  you  could  have a DarkNet for just yourself, your business,
your friends or whatever.  I have no clue how many DarkNets may exist.
Also,  DarkNets  can be interlinked (and/or linked to the OpenNet) via
one or more shared nodes.

One other thing.  There are risks in running an OpenNet node.  They're
explained in the FAQ.  I run my nodes on virtual machines that connect
through anonymous VPNs.  YMMV.

Anyway, enough.  Corrections are welcomed.

--
Best regards,
Hierophant                            mailto:hieroph...@xerobank.net

--