On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 06:54:11 +1000, Peter Kunzli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using Freenet for a long time (thanks), but your
> instructions and help are appalling.  You say there is a problem, but
> never offer a solution, just some string of geek jargon that is
> meaningless to anyone who is not a programmer.  I find it easier to
> just uninstall (losing all pending downloads etc) then re-install.  I
> have not once found a solution to a problem I have had.
>
> Examples are notices saying that my node is too old and if I don't
> upgrade I will be "left in the dust" whatever that means.  I cannot
> update, the bloody programme is supposed to do it for me!

In fact, IMHO, no. Program updating and maintaining should be your
operating system's responsibility. But we digress.

> There is no "check for updates" button.

Freenet constantly checks for updates on it's own, and notifies you via
that message you mentioned above. I'm not sure if it's supposed to
auto-update on it's own, or if you have to click a button to do it
manually. (My OS takes care of updating my Freenet node.) Are you saying
you tried clicking, and it didn't work?