On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 18:07:19 +1000, Peter Kunzli wrote:
> I am saying there is no button to click.  I just get stupid geek
> written notices that I can do nothing about.  It is no good saying
> something isn't working if a solution is not offered.

That is very strange. You should be seeing an "Update Now!" button
right beside that message. Unless, for some strange reason, your node
isn't able to download the newer versions. What version are you
currently using? How long do you keep your node running for? -- it'll
take a few minutes to fetch it. How many peers are you connected to?

> " In fact, IMHO, no. Program updating and maintaining should be your
> operating system's responsibility. But we digress."  Operating
> Systems do not update independent programmes mate!  The operating
> system provides a platform for programmes to interface with me.

I suppose technically I meant it's the distribution's responsibility --
your package manager's -- definitely not a program's, IMHO.

> My operating system will not update independent programmes on their
> own.

So, my implication was that you may want to consider using a better
distribution :). Just a consideration.

> The programme needs to update itself.  "(My OS takes care of
> updating my Freenet node.)"  How does it do that?

Easy. The same way it handles every single other program on my
computer. There is a package for the program, and a big community of
people watching out for updates and such.

>  The operating system updates itself but not other programmes.  Eg
> adobe tell me there is an update, so does my media player,

So, you don't really seem to be using any "package manager" -- that is,
*you* are left with the tedious job of figuring out what needs updating,
and figuring out how to update each thing individually -- each of them
probably have their own quirky way of doing things, etc. This is one of
the areas where Linux (the Linux community) shines.

Nevertheless, Freenet does tell you that there is an update. And it
is /supposed/ to give you an "Update Now!" button. So, we have to
figure out why your node isn't downloading the newest versions. My one
does.

> freenet just says it is too old.  The operating system has nothing to
> do with it.
>
> Also the download prioritisation has disappeared in the new version I
> downloaded.  It just needs a bit of real help, it can't be that hard
> to offer help options with a warning message, after all the
> programmer has offered a dialogue box to tell us there is a problem,
> so obviously they know what that problem is.  Ergo they can offer a
> solution to the said problem.

So, regarding the updating issue, this is already supposed to happen :).