Hi Ivan,

Ivan Vilata-i-Balaguer writes:
> Hi Arne, thanks for the insights and the links.  Please note that the
> current CENO project is actually using Freenet as a signalling and
> storage backend!`:)`

It’s great to know that this is still the case!

>> (I submitted a project plan for improving this to NLnet which shows what
>>  would have to be done for an uncensorable and attack resistant
>>  news-network. It got into the short-list but wasn’t selected for
>>  funding: http://www.draketo.de/english/freenet/news-of-the-day )
>
> That looks like a very interesting system!  CENO already includes some
> RSS feeds from selected sites, I'm not sure how this would aling with
> the particular requirement (we were focusing more in web sites), but
> it's without doubt an innovative approach.  Thanks for sharing it!

I’d have liked to finish it faster, but that requires about 10k€ to
finance the required WoT speedups (WoT interaction is what currently
slows down the system the most).

>> >   2. Censored content is made available within a reasonable time.
>>
>> Just ask someone to run
>>
>>     copyweb -d <folder> <URL>; freesitemgr add <folder>
>>
>> Or integrate that functionality into a program. You might want to use
>> beautifulsoup to clean up the code for the Freenet content filter, i.e.:
>> http://127.0.0.1:8888/freenet:USK@0iU87PXyodL2nm6kCpmYntsteViIbMwlJE~wlqIVvZ0,nenxGvjXDElX5RIZxMvwSnOtRzUKJYjoXEDgkhY6Ljw,AQACAAE/freenetproject-mirror/491/update.sh?type=text/plain
>
> CENO currently uses [bundler](https://github.com/equalitie/bundler),
> which does a similar task.  Thanks for the hints!

Do I remember correctly that the bundler replicates the site as is —
with all its dangers to privacy? (Freenet provides heavy whitelist
filtering to protect its users from uploaded content).

>> >   3. Access to censored dynamic content (i.e. web apps) is possible.
>>
>> That’s a hard one. You’d need to remodel the web apps to use Freenet as
>> backend instead of the clearnet.
>>
>> I do not think that it is possible at all to provide anything which uses
>> Javascript and at the same time preserve the anonymity of your users.
>
> Yeah, that's a hard one, that's why we may probably end up combining
> several tools.

You could even go as far as simply re-developing popular tools on top of
Freenet as locally running tools. That might turn out to be easier than
trying to secure javascript.

> Wow, these a very useful links, thanks!

We should communicate more often.

>> […] PS: I’m only a few more hours away from being able to do proper
>>     Freenet releases, so we can finally deploy improvements to the
>>     freenet core again.
>
> Cool, good luck with that, and thanks again for the very informative
> reply!

Good luck to you, too! And Happy Hacking!
- Arne