On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 04:47:09 +0100, bqz69 wrote:
> It is still quite difficult to use and setup for normal people.

More details would help :P. In Gentoo Linux, I do "emerge freenet", and
*done*. I have a running node ready to surf--err, maybe a quick wizard
first :P. In Window$, I assume, you download the installer ball,
double-click it, click Next a zillion times (as with any other
installation), then you're done? So, if you're talking about the actual
installation, how much easier would you like it to be? Have Micro$oft
pre-package their OS with it? (I'm sure there are Linux distros that
already do :P).

If you mean using 3rd party programs on top of Freenet, well, that's a
3rd party issue :). But, again, you'll have to be more specific.

I think you're /actually/ just frustrated that more people aren't using
it yet, and need something to blame that on :P. I think tor is harder
to setup and use, yet many more people seem to be using it. It could
just be good (bad) ol' marketing--ie. tor has EFF behind it. Or perhaps
most people don't yet see the benefits of the freenet approach, which
does have substantial costs--slower surfing, more system resource load,
until recently it required binary blobs (jvm), etc--in which case more
government repression would certainly help us :). And since that is the
natural inevitable cource of any coercive state, the future looks
bright for freenet!