From: Alastair Stevens [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 12:44 PM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: [pfSense Support] CARP - battle of the firewalls

Hi again

We're gradually getting closer to our desired setup: 2 pfSense boxes with CARP
failover, each with multiple LAN interfaces and load-balanced dual WANs.  This
is obviously quite a complex setup, and getting it all working at once seems
elusive - but we're almost there!

At the moment, the biggest problem is still CARP.  When firewall B is brought
up, it tries to become "master" for both LAN interfaces, whilst remaining
"backup" for the WANS.  This is at the same time that firewall A is "master"
for everything, as it should be.  So the CARP failover just isn't working - the
machines seem to be fighting each other to become master, which breaks things.

I have checked the settings, and consulted the list, multiple times, but can't
get to the bottom of this.  Any more ideas on why CARP is behaving so
erratically?

The machines are both running RC1 + SNAPSHOT_07_06_2006, as suggested by Scott
earlier, and they have a dedicated crossover link for the pfsync traffic.

Regards
Alastair