Thanks everyone, it worked.

For future reference, here's how:  I created a new VLAN and assigned it to the Metro Ethernet interface.  Then I added the VLAN as a new interface and enabled it, assigning a static IP in a different IP range from the Metro Ethernet interface.  I rebooted next for the system to recognize the new VLAN interface.  Then I added firewall rules to allow traffic through both the Metro interface and the VLAN interface (not sure yet if both of these are necessary), and finally added a static route to send LAN traffic destined for the remote LAN to the IP of the remote VLAN interface.

It's a pretty short distance and it's a fast pipe, so I should be able to get some pretty good benchmarks of the type of traffic it's possible to push over this connection.  I'm running it on Poweredge 1850 servers with 2 GB RAM, onboard Intel NICs, and Intel 1000MT dual port server PCI adapters.

Nate

On 11/8/06, Bill Marquette < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 11/8/06, Nathan Osborne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a pretty basic VLAN question that I haven't been able to find the
> answer to:  Can pfSense do VLAN trunking?  More specifically:  I'm
> installing a Metro Ethernet connection with pfSense boxes on each end.  I
> need to tag all traffic sent over the Metro Ethernet connection with a
> specific VLAN id in order for the ISP's switch to handle the traffic
> correctly and send it on to the pfSense box on the other end.  Can pfSense
> do this through its VLAN configuration, or would I need a 802.1q switch in
> between the pfSense and the Metro E connection on each end to specify the
> VLAN info?
>
> Each box has Intel cards (em), running ver 1.0.1.

Should be possible.  The VLAN setup assumes trunk mode.