Hi,

To give an update on this.

I've successfully installed pfsense 1.2b1 with CARP on Dell PE860's. The trick was to setup the machines from scratch and not use an older config.

These machines have been running wonderfully for the last few months now.

Hope this helps someone, especially that its Dell and its the cheapest model you can get.

Garith Dugmore wrote:
That was exactly it. I enabled a few settings and then disabled CARP and then a few seconds later re-enabled it.

Chris Buechler wrote:
Garith Dugmore wrote:
An update:

I've now manually configured pfsense from scratch, except for the firewall rule section and NAT which I restored from backups. This time I also got a kernel panic when fiddling with the CARP settings.

So to conclude I get a kernel panic when changing CARP settings with pfsense 1.01 and pfsense 1.2b1.

There's a known FreeBSD bug that the system will panic when you disable CARP, but AFAIK, there are no issues with just messing with its configuration (unless you're disabling and enabling it).

Garith Dugmore
Systems Administrator
South African Astronomical Observatory

Phone:          021 460 9343