Hi Sean

>> im really thinking it's a modem problem or something with the IP that is
>> assigned for pfsense WAN. the fact that you can ALWAYS hit the modems config
>> page even if internet access is unavailable kind of confirms it.
It does tend to suggest that maybe pfsense is not the problem, but....why the
need to reboot pfsense?   It is almost like a keep alive situation has
failed...  Incidentally VOIP and a webserver, amongst other things, run behind
pfsense, it is getting ample traffic to keep alive!

>>conecting another computer to the modem, I'm taking it, would get a DHCP
>>address that is different from pfsense.
No, it is a static address situation, the windows PC's NIC is configured with
the same static IP, DNS and gateway to connect up, and it does...

>>playing devils advocate. I know that you have reinstalled pfsense freshly on
>>the box to try and resolve that. did you rebuild the config from scratch or
>>just import it back in.
Yes have run up multiple versions, using both CD and also embedded version on
CF media.  Makes it easy to swap scenarios!  I am currently running the latest
1.2 RC-1.  Ran up a completely new XML from pfSense (for 1.2 RC1) and even did
a compare with the previous XML using Winmerge.  There were many differences,
but none of them seemed like they might be significant, XML is XML when its
compliant....but...anyway it didn't seem to make any difference.  Same problems
occurred in the last stable version and 1.00 as well I recall.

>>also is your internet IP static or DHCP.
As above, static!

>>and do you have the "Block private networks" option turned on for the WAN
>>interface on your box
Yes, is a default setting I think, not been played with.   Bogons is unchecked,
I suppose this might be better checked?

I talked with the ISP tonight.  They couldn't confirm what the MTU should be,
(I was not surprised) so I have to assume default.  The party line is we
support Windows Hook ups and that's about all.  I have opened a (nother) ticket
and requested a call from their network engineer, apparently a "senior
technician" is going to call me.

Many thanks for continuing to work with me on this conundrum!

Kind regards
David Hingston