Andy Dills wrote:
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Scott Ullrich wrote:

On 3/23/08, Andy Dills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 rl2: discard oversize frame (ether type 0 flags 3 len 29807 > max 1514)
That is a rather large packet?    Jumbo frames?

Nope, that's what has me confused. This is all 100mbit, all standard MTUs.

And it's always a packet with a length of 29807.

I have a hunch it's related to this note from the rl manpage:

-=-

The RealTek data sheets are of especially poor quality, and there is a lot of information missing particularly concerning the receiver operation. One particularly important fact that the data sheets fail to mention relates to the way in which the chip fills in the receive buffer. When an interrupt is posted to signal that a frame has been received, it is possible that another frame might be in the process of being copied into the receive buffer while the driver is busy handling the first one. If the driver manages to finish processing the first frame before the chip is done DMAing the rest of the next frame, the driver may attempt to process the next frame in the buffer before the chip has had a chance to finish DMAing all of it.

-=-

If you google "rl panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry", you'll see a there are a bunch of people using FreeBSD 6 getting this panice who happen to have realtek cards in stalled.

I suspect if they were intel interfaces this wouldn't be happening.

The only other thing I can think of is that there is some IRQ sharing:

interrupt                          total       rate
irq0: clk                         419736         99
irq4: sio0                           267          0
irq5: rl0                         198936         47
irq8: rtc                         537245        127
irq10: rl1                        205725         49
irq11: rl2 ohci0                  354951         84
irq14: ata0                         9167          2
Total                            1726027        411

I'll bug the Herologic guys to see how to get into the bios to disable USB.

There are a lot of crappy Realtek NICs out there, but I'm surprised you're seeing this on a HeroLogic board. I use a number of different embedded hardware platforms with Realtek NICs, including a HeroLogic HL-462 they contributed to the project, and I've yet to see an issue with any of them. I used the HL-462 as my perimeter firewall for a couple months, with 15 Mb and 3 Mb WAN connections, and beat it up. Never had a single issue.

It could potentially be a hardware problem of some sort, or a FreeBSD driver bug. Either way, nothing we can solve. A post to freebsd-net might get somewhere in getting it fixed in FreeBSD if it ends up being a driver bug, though I'd get in touch with HeroLogic first to see if they've run into that before.

It's virtually impossible to actually have 20-something thousand byte frames on any Ethernet network, that's significantly larger than even jumbo frames on gigabit. That could be a hardware issue or a driver bug.