On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Chris Buechler wrote:

> Andy Dills wrote:
> > Good news, it appears my assumption was correct. There exists a flaw in
> > the realtek chipset (as quoted earlier in the thread), and it appears that a
> > patch to the driver has been created:
> >
> > http://www.nabble.com/RELENG_7-panic-td16285669.html
> >

> that is good news. Do you know if this patch is in RELENG_7_0, and was it back
> ported to RELENG_6_3? I know it has some updated drivers from the 6.2 we use.
> The pfSense 1.2.1 release will be coming next month, and will be based on
> FreeBSD 6.3, so that might work out for you. The initial 7.0-based release
> will come first, but might not be something you want to use in production
> (though some of us developers are with no problems).

The patch just came out, but I would be very surprised if such a small
patch that fixes a frequent kernal panic in a common NIC didn't get
MFC'ed.

Honestly, regarding 7.0...unless you guys have something experimental
going on with the userland stuff...from what I've found, 7.0 is one hell
of a release. Hands down the best .0 release (of any software package)
I've ever worked with in terms of release stability and degree of
improvement over the previous version.

It's pretty telling when the traditionally conservative FreeBSD team is
already labeling 6.3 "legacy" at the top of the website.

Andy

---
Andy Dills
Xecunet, Inc.