DLStrout wrote:
I was just wondering if there was something drastically broke in the past "latest" release? Why the removal (just to far out of date?)

I uninstalled on a test box and I can't even get it back in its "old" version/state ... is there a reason that the older version wasn't left available? Seem that older is better than nothing (unless of course drastically broken/flawed).

Just wondering.
--
David L. Strout
Engineering Systems Plus, LLC

No, the snort package no longer had an active maintainer, was out of date, broken and a source of much angst in the support forum. The policy of the pfSense developers has been to remove un-maintained, broken packages. Since there are a lot of people who want to see this package fixed and maintained, it has been suggested that a bounty be put together to get the snort package fixed and updated. Something similar happened with the squid package, very successfully.