I can only think of using a switch, being capable of port bonding... 802.3ad capable switches like HP Procurve 1800's can link multiple ports for better speed.
Don't know how they end up, using wireless bridges though ;-)

Ugo Bellavance schreef:
Sorry for top-posting, but I realize this is OT.  If anyone knows where I should I ask my question, please let me know.

Ugo

Ugo Bellavance wrote:
Hi everyone

We are using pfsense to protect some kind of WiFi campus.

Here is the current setup:

Building 1 [PfSense -> Netgear switch -> WiFi Antenna (1)] -> RF -> Building 2 [WiFi Antenna -> Netgear switch -> Client computers].  We have a few buildings that are all connected to the central antenna in Building 1.

We are currently using vlans because we have VoIP services going through this and different kind of users.  Everything is working OK as of now. However, the max bandwidth of one WiFi link like that is about 10 mbps.  To increase the total bandwidth, we want to add another antenna in Building 1.  We though of 2 ways to achieve what we want... Trunking (EtherChannel) of another vlan.  We also tought of just trying to just connect the extra antenna and see how it goes, but we were worried of forming a loop.

We found out that there are pros and cons to each approach:

Trunking (EtherChannel):

Pros:
-> Probably the best fit for that purpose
-> No other change to the architecture
-> "Intelligent" load balancing between the two WiFi links

Cons:
-> We are not sure if the switch will be able to manage that correctly, since it goes through the air.
-> Must cause downtime for all end-users

Extra Vlan

Pros:
-> We can prepare our setup in parallel, minimizing downtime, 0 downtime even possible

Cons:
-> Many changes to the current setup
-> Duplication of config
-> Since our DHCP server is not on PFsense, we would have to put it on PFsense or on the other vlan.

Anyone has been in a similar situation?  All input would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ugo