On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 09:09, Vaughn L. Reid III
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm asking this to see if it is feasible to set up a traditional proxy
> server/content filter in a way to avoid having to configure proxy settings

Ditto Gary's statement.  Even though you want to keep proxying off of
the router, it's worth noting that the squid package offers a
transparent proxy configuration.  I've been using that with an
ultra-minimal setup (no caching) pointed at an upstream content filter
for just over a year with zero issues.  The upstream proxy solely
serves that network and averages 40GB/day, but has seen as much as 3x
that with no ill effect.  pfSense: Dell PE2650, 2xP-IV @ 1.8GHz

RB