Well thanks Alex....there is definitely a problem.  I am going to be forced
to configure my setup in a more complex way.  The beauty of the way I wanted
is that the pfSense could simply be taken out of line in case of problems
and although my network would be left unprotected at least it would continue
to work with no reconfiguration of any other equipment.

I've ran into another problem...when I change the LAN ip address, it appears
that the firewall rule for the LAN has to be changed.  The default rule that
exists there, LAN Net to any, doesn't work anymore and has to changed to
reflect the subnet of the new range.

Oh well...its a work in progress....I wonder if there is a way to disabe
'stateful packet inspection'.

But anyways, just like you are saying...Initial connections seem to work
great in most cases but eventually will quit working.  My Novell clients end
up having problems talking to my servers and I have another client/server
(library card catalog) that refuses to talk at all.