I was going to ask what hardware you were running this on.  We have a rather large list of MAC addresses in our captive portal and it works fine.  Its a dual opteron/4 gigs of ram.   Probably overkill, so it wont help you know what you need, but if your running 128  ram or even 256, its bare bone minimum.

Chris Flugstad
Cascadelink
900 1st ave s, suite 201a
seattle, wa 98134