From: RB [mailto:aoz....@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:16 PM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Captive Portal Question

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 15:55, Tim Dressel <tjdres...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. What is the limitation on the number of mac-bypass entries? And is
> what I am seeing expected with 300 entries?

I'm sure someone will chime in with the precise ipfw limitation, but
this is mostly going to be dependent on your system's performance
specs - memory & CPU.

> 2. If I should not be doing this with 300 clients, is anyone using
> another FOSS product to do MAC authenticated control outbound from
> their firewall?

Possibly, but [as I hope you know] MAC filtering only keeps honest
people honest, it is in no way any form of authentication.  At that
number of unique users, you may be better served by setting up an
actual RADIUS server to do proper authentication and AAA instead of
manually maintaining tables.