On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Rainer Duffner <rai...@ultra-secure.de> wrote:
> AFAIK, SUN still provides eval-systems for free.
> I would evaluate one of the new X2270 with the Nehalem Xeons.
> This should provide a 50% boost even on 5400-series Xeons.
> Also, they use Intel NICs, IIRC.
>
> The smallest test-system already has 6 GB of RAM and costs 2000 USD,
> which you have to pay only after 60 days.

All good advice here in the last couple messages.   Wanted to add that
I would suggest trying a recent 1.2 / FreeBSD 7 pfSense snapshot from
snapshots.pfsense.org as we added the high performance yandex driver
located at
http://people.yandex-team.ru/~wawa/em-6.9.6-RELENG7-yandex-1.36.2.10.tar.gz

The README file that was included:

Main features
-------------

RX queue is being processed w/more than one thread. Use "sysctl
dev.em.X.rx_kthreads" to alter number of threads.

TX interrupts has been removed because it's not neccessary actually.
That's why interrupt rate has been reduced twice at least.

TX queue cleaning moved to seperate kthread. em_start uses mtx_trylock
instean of mtx_lock. That's why em_start locks less.

+ RX queues' priority may be altered thru sysctl. System seems to be
more stable if RX scheduled w/less priority.

+ RX interrupt stay masked if there is no thread ready to catch
interrupt. The hint reduces context switching under load.

You will want to experiment with 1 thread per proc and 2 threads per
proc by setting "sysctl dev.em.X.rx_kthreads"  (I think)

Scott