On 28/09/09 15:20, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> Interface       VLAN tag        Description
> em2     50      NegriBossi
>
> In the Interface Assignment Tab, I have:
> Interface       Network port
> LAN             em0
> WAN             bge0
> OPT1            em1
> OPT2            VLAN 50 on em2

you could rename OPT2 to, say, Vlan50

> OPT3            em3
>
> In the rules page on the OPT2 tab, I have:
> a * rule allowing all from all.
>
> The LAN tab has its * (from LAN net) rule.
> So when you say create rules for vlan50, the Rules interface
> still refers to the name of the Interface, not the vlan itself, correct?

yes, it'd be under the OPT2 tab; or, if renamed, Vlan50.

> As a test to make sure there wasn't anything wrong in between switches etc, I
> untagged a non vlan aware wkst into vlan 50 on the switch pfsense is plugged
> into and it can see the remote machine fine. I then removed the vlan from
> pfsense
> and untagged OPT2 into vlan50 and had issues? I swapped ports and it sort of
> works,
> sporadic connectivity that sometimes works and sometimes does not. At this
> point, I
> think there is a cabling issue possibly or another problem outside the
> pfsense setup.
>
> I have to purchase some new cables and try this again.

it could also be a bogus switch; it might not like you trying to run
tagged and untagged frames on the same port. I'd advise changing to use
vlan2, say, as your LAN and ensure all switch ports are marked untagged
vlan2, (or in cisco speak, in access mode, access vlan 2, and nonegotiate).

it's always best to never use the native vlan, it only comes back to
bite you later, even though with cisco you can tell it the native vlan
isn't.