to measure bandwidth used I use a script that checks the difference between
bytes passed from poll A to poll B.  I can point you to the plugin I use if
you'd like.  gives results like:

vr0:UP (131.0KBps/8.0KBps)

and I get alarms in my email when I pass too much traffic like you'd expect:

***** Nagios *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: Interface Status - vr0
Host: pipboy
Address: 192.168.2.1
State: WARNING

Date/Time: Tue Sept 29 08:02:33 EDT 2009

Additional Info:

vr0:UP (WARN 1490.2KBps/56.2KBps)

The OID it uses is just off the IF-MIB if I remember right.   and most
devices regardless of OS tend to respond to polls on the .1.3.6.1.2.1 trees,
especially .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2 and .1.3.6.1.2.1.25 , the first of which is the
one you're looking for for interface information.