-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Pingle [mailto:li...@pingle.org]
Sent: Tuesday, 15 December 2009 9:07 PM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Re: NanoBSD on WRAP

On 12/15/2009 6:31 AM, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Ugo Bellavance schrieb:
>> I like this answer, and there are really 2 facts that are highlighted
>> here:
>>
>> - Users will always complain
>> - The better your product and product history, the less users will
>> read the warnings.  PfSense has always had a good record to me, so I
>> don't read the upgrade document at each upgrade.
>>
>> I'll wait for the image, Chris, and I don't mind the few weeks of
>> wait, but I think that maybe uploading a (or a set of) README files on
>> the mirror would help... I would personnally be very tempted to read a
>> README file while it is downloading, especially if it has "WRAP" in
>> its name.
>>

>That might help, but it is mentioned in the Upgrade Guide, and a couple
>places on the Doc Wiki. I thought it was mentioned in the release
>announcement, but I may have been thinking about one of the -RC version
>announcements.

> I upgraded my ALIX yesterday to 1.2.3-RELEASE and found out I need the
> BIOS-update (I switched from 128M embedded to 4GB version, too). Turns
> out that the image for the BIOS-update provided on the pfSense.org page
> doesn't work (maybe it's for a different ALIX, I have an ALIX2-series
> board).
> Of course, I only found out about this after I had wiped my working
> pfSense installation with the BIOS-update image (and no old image
> available, and no internet-access anymore).
>
> Luckily, I was able to tether my iMac with my on-call iPhone (the
> personal iPhone doesn't have 3G reception at home....) and download the
> required files from the pcengines website and finally run 1.2.3 - after
> a couple of wasted hours.
>
> So much for "a ready-made image makes it easier for everybody"....

>>Which model ALIX do you have? It says on the page that there are some
>>excluded models, usually it's the ones with VGA that require a different
>>BIOS. Did the image not boot at all? Or what did it do?

>>Jim

I have run into this issue also, although I am still in the planning stage of
an upgrade.
We are running pfsense 1.2.2 on an Alix2c3 board.
I know I need to upgrade the bios prior to installing pfsense 1.2.3-RELEASE but
everywhere I look for an updated bios this model is expressly excluded.

Regards,
Simon.