I suspect my Alix embedded appliance (500 MHz 586 class with 256 MB RAM) is getting maxed out via either heat or traffic.

e.  Rejecting UDP port 80 on LAN
f.   Rejecting TCP 6667 (IIRC), 135 (MS RPC) on LAN
g. Rejecting TCP/UDP 445 (SMB/CIFS), 137-139 (NetBIOS) on LAN. My imac and a PC laptop generate a lot of 137 traffic that gets blocked.
h.  Doing Vonage VOIP traffic shaping
i. I use the Internet mainly via a D-Link N wifi router connected to a HP Procurve switch. The firewall is also connected to that switch.

Mehma

Why rejecting port 80/UDP on LAN ? I'm just curious, as I don't do that - and it might be a good idea :) I also have an Alix 2D13 (same specs like yours I guess) - but with some packages installed, and three VPN IPSEC. Also traffic shaping is active, though only for one dedicated LAN IP only... (for VOIP).

The only time the Alix gets some trouble (seems to me), is when doing torrents... vr0: promiscous mode enabled/disabled all the time then.

But for normal http traffic (even when downloading service packs or whatever that is large enough to test sustainibility) I have no troubles whatsoever...