On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:46 AM, mehma sarja <mehmasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nagios is complex and the Reconnoiter thing looks weird. Now that I think

TANSTAAFL.  If your requirements involve knowing when things are not
working right, you a) need to know what the baseline of "working
properly" means, and b) have a means to detect when that baseline is
out of the norm, and c) have a means to notify you of that.  The tools
that do this are not trivial, because the problem is not trivial.  I
really don't think your Control Center software at your prior company
was "easy" software.

> about it, is there a formal database in a pfsense install? Don't
> know...pkg_info -a shows blank and a find on *.conf does not show a hint of
> a db. The PHPService package could be used to send messages. Remote
> syslogging will get some info - not all.

Not that I'm aware.  I suspect if any package needed a database it'd
install it.  But that just seems wrong, from a moral standpoint, to
have on a firewall. I suppose it would be ok if it were sqlite or
BDB... but never anything that listened to a network socket.