On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Nathan Eisenberg
<nat...@atlasnetworks.us> wrote:
> I'd argue that it is the role of the user to advocate for desired features,
> regardless of what price was paid for the software.  The fact that IPv6
> support doesn't seem to be finished yet is an issue that gains significance
> every day.  While it could probably have been phrased in more polite way, and
> possibly with more research behind it,

With these requirements a majority of the open source projects would
never have releases.   Almost everyone that contributes to the project
are volunteers.  There is no way we can dictate how a volunteer spends
their time.  This goes for pfSense and a lot of open source projects.
 Heck even a recent study showed that  a majority of Linux kernrel
commits are now sponsored in some fashion by companies.   I am not
arguing that open source is commercialized I am trying to emphasize
that it is a scratch your itch type of deal.  Either you get paid for
XYZ company to do their work or you are scratching an itch somewhere
that you feel the need.   There are very few people that just come
along and say your user base demands are my priority.

Most of the cutting edge features in pfSense have come from a
developer scratching an itch or a commercial support customer
sponsoring the development time.

> I do understand the sentiment, though.  I too would like to see more
> resources go towards completing IPv6 support in PFSense.  I am relieved to
> see and hear that efforts are being made to address real IPv6 support, but
> the day when it is done cannot come soon enough.

See above.

> I have native IPv6 transport today to all of my facilities.  The time of
> 'IPv6 is coming' has passed; we have moved into 'IPv6 to the last mile
> provider and consumer is coming', and with Comcast starting last mile IPv6
> betas, it's looking like we're talking about sooner, rather than later.

That's pretty cutting edge in terms of American internet and you are
lightyears ahead of us.   Last I heard Youtube just came online and a
huge spike of traffic was seen on the IPV6 backbone in America.   That
goes to show how little IPV6 is used overall in the USA still.   It's
unfortunate but it's the truth in the USA.   I would love to have
native IPV6 connectivity from my local carrier and I applaud comcast
for taking that important first step in terms of cable modem
subscribers.

Scott