On 8/3/2010 11:15 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 09:22:41AM -0500, Karl Fife wrote:

We're going to build up just such a system in just a few months after we
close a couple of open projects.  Has anyone done this already,&  have
experience to share?
I'm running 3 pfSense full installation on flash/SSDs.

One is an ALIX system with SLC CF flash, one is a SuperMicro
Atom rackmount with 4 (or 8?) SLC Transcend SSD, and one uses
Intel 80 GByte 2nd gen SSD. No issues so far.

P.S. I'm watching
        http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Is_there_IPv6_support_available
as of today I have native IPv6 support now. Yay!

You could probably mitigate some of the writes to disk by having the logging sent to a syslog server elsewhere inside the house that is using traditional write media. That should lengthen the life of the SSD at least until the next generation of SSD comes along that has no write limitations.