It depends on how it's delivered to you, but typically, your provider will
allocate a /30 to use for the route between them and your WAN interface, and
then route (via static routes or a dynamic routing protocol) the /22 to your
box.  You can then create the various VLAN and physical interfaces for the
internal network and assign the smaller blocks to each interface.

So, in short, your first step is likely going to be 'talk to your transit
provider' to get a /30 setup.

To be honest, I wouldn't use a pfsense box to sit in front of a /22 though.
I'd use a Cisco router, and then slice up the first /26 or /27 into some
reserved space for /30's.  Then you can use the /30's to route your various
subnets to multiple PFsense boxes as needed.

By the way, it would be awesome if PFsense supported RFC 3021 and implement /31
support... could be twice as efficient with routing networks.

Best Regards,
Nathan Eisenberg
Atlas Networks | Sr. Systems Administrator
office: 206.577.3078  |  www.atlasnetworks.us