On 10/14/10 2:57 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 02:41:10PM -0700, Mehma Sarja wrote:
So the current comparison is between a fanless enclosure and a
supermicro atom server. Let's leave off the drive and memory for now.
You will need some minimal air flow, especially in a rack. I think
the Supermicros are a bit on the "too low" side. The axial fan
one (haven't seen it yet) might do better.

I am wondering if there is a kit to move the ps outside or replace it with a fanless one? The only fans in this thing is the ps fan/s.
I'll probably spring for a SSD as suggested. Do I need 4 GB memory or
So far, Transcend SLC SSD and Intel 2nd gen MLC SSD. No failures, so far.

Someone suggested running off a USB stick. Wouldn't that limit some packages which want storage or speedy storage?

[snip]
So, now let's talk memory and drive. I'd want to use only what I need to
reduce heat and power useage. It seems like you get more with the
supermicro server that the fanless box. The ps - 80 watts is probably
Fanless box might be ok if it's got enough surface and is mounted
so that it can be passively cooled by convection.

Yea, the fanless option still appeals to me because fans get on my nerves.

Newegg lists the atom server at 370 + 15 shipping, provantage lists it forty bucks cheaper - http://www.provantage.com/supermicro-sys-5015a-phf~4SUP91RC.htm. Building it yourself: 70 + 15 for the case, 200 +8 for the MB = 293 - which is 50 bucks cheaper than provantage. I'd rather spend the extra 50. Newegg also provides bundles with 2 GB memory and 3.5" SATA drive.

Mehma