On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Jim Riggs
<freebsd-li...@christianserving.org> wrote:
> I have been having an issue with 2.0 for a few months (beta snapshots and
> RC1) that is driving me mad.  I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.
>
> The server is a Dell PowerEdge R610 with bce0-bce3.  It is a repurposed
> server, so it is built and configured as a server and for performance.  In
> the simplest setup, I only have a LAN (bce0) and WAN (bce1).  This is a test
> server for evaluating 2.0, so it doesn't really have much traffic.  There are
> only a couple of us using it as a gateway.
>
> A few minutes after booting, the Web UI will become unusably slow or
> completely unresponsive.  Sometimes we will be greeted with a 503 response.
> Other times the browser just spins forever.  SSH access is similarly flaky.
> We have found that if we force some traffic through the gateway (e.g. http
> request from LAN to WAN) right after requesting a page from the Web UI or
> attempting an SSH session, it will respond to that request.
>
> I have dug through posts related to this in the forums and archives, but
> haven't found too much that's relevant.  I did find one post [1], though,
> that was somewhat similar.  Basically, the OP had to run tcpdump on the
> pfSense box to get it to work.  I tried that, and it works!  So, now every
> time I restart the pfSense box I have to log in on console or SSH (if I can
> get in) and run a `nohup tcpdump -i bce0 >& /dev/null' to make it behave.
> Note that unlike the referenced post, we do not have any trouble LAN->WAN
> through the gateway.  It just seems to be problematic accessing the gateway
> itself from the LAN.

Odd, then it's only working when the NIC is in promiscuous mode.
What's the exact chipset (run dmesg|grep bce0)? Some odd driver quirk,
apparently specific to only certain particular chipsets as I know
there are a number of systems running bce that don't have such issues.

Running 'ifconfig bce0 promisc' would accomplish the same without
having to run tcpdump.