On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Jim Riggs
<freebsd-li...@christianserving.org> wrote:

> I had wondered if it was just a promiscuous mode thing, but just setting
> promiscuous on the IF doesn't seem to do it.  (Let me do some more testing,
> though.)  If it does work, what's the best way to make that persistent across
> reboots and/or upgrades?  I could write an rc script, but is there a more
> "pfSense way"?  I know there's an xml config file, but how persistent is it?

You can add <shellcmd> tag such as
<shellcmd>ifconfig bce0 promisc</shellcmd>

above the </system> line.

Running tcpdump does nothing other than putting the NIC in promiscuous
mode to impact the network stack, pretty much impossible that promisc
does something diff than running tcpdump does.

> I will see if there are any Dell updates available for the NIC.  Here's the
> dmesg info:
>
> bce0: <Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5709 1000Base-T (C0)> mem
> 0xd6000000-0xd7ffffff irq 36 at device 0.0 on pci1

BCM5709 is about as common as they come. I suspect it wouldn't be Dell
update related (it's possible there's new firmware though, definitely
worth checking), more likely something specific to the bce driver in
FreeBSD and what you're doing. I see you're using VLANs, maybe that's
related somehow.