On Mar 18, 2011, at 7:05 PM, Chris Buechler wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Jim Riggs
> <freebsd-li...@christianserving.org> wrote:
>>
>> I had wondered if it was just a promiscuous mode thing, but just setting
>> promiscuous on the IF doesn't seem to do it.  (Let me do some more testing,
>> though.)  If it does work, what's the best way to make that persistent
>> across reboots and/or upgrades?  I could write an rc script, but is there a
>> more "pfSense way"?  I know there's an xml config file, but how persistent
>> is it?
>>

> You can add <shellcmd> tag such as
> <shellcmd>ifconfig bce0 promisc</shellcmd>
>
> above the </system> line.
>
> Running tcpdump does nothing other than putting the NIC in promiscuous
> mode to impact the network stack, pretty much impossible that promisc
> does something diff than running tcpdump does.

I'm reviving this thread again after a couple of weeks.

Indeed, setting my LAN IF (bce0) to promiscuous mode does work.  Of course, my
shellcmd keeps getting removed with every snapshot.  :-\  Does anyone else have
any ideas why this interface would have to be in promiscuous mode to keep
pfSense (web ui, ssh, etc.) from hanging?

The only other thing I have noticed when poking around is that there are lots
of mbuf request denials, and these show up right after a fresh boot:

24914/2099/27013 mbufs in use (current/cache/total)
24908/692/25600/25600 mbuf clusters in use (current/cache/total/max)
24908/692 mbuf+clusters out of packet secondary zone in use (current/cache)
0/640726/302089 requests for mbufs denied (mbufs/clusters/mbuf+clusters)

More context below: